Yorkshire Dama - recently on Channel 4
We were delighted to be featured on Steph’s Packed Lunch on Channel 4, a show hosted by Steph McGovern where a mix of celebrities come together to talk about real life stories and showcase amazing recipes - including our Yorkshire Dama Squeaky Cheese!
We introduced our 7 different, delicious, flavours of squeaky cheese, as well as spreadable yoghurt and ricotta cheese to Steph. It was important for us to explain our production process to highlight the quality of handmade cheese, and an honour to talk about our story on TV, our Syrian background and how we have built our business from the ground up.
John Whaite, former Great British Bake Off 2012 winner, used our Yorkshire Dama Ricotta cheese in his yummy spinach and ricotta Yorkshire Pudding, here's the recipe for you to try at home!
For the batter:
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
225ml whole milk
4 large eggs
115g self-raising flour
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
For the filling:
400g spinach, washed
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
50g unsalted butter
400g chestnut mushrooms, finely sliced
1 small onion, finely sliced
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
250g Yorkshire Dama ricotta cheese
125g pecorino cheese, finely grated
100g mozzarella cheese, torn into small pieces
Fine sea salt
Ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees/230 degrees fan/gas mark 9. Put the oil into the base of a medium roasting dish and put into the oven to get very hot.
2. For the batter, put the milk and eggs into a jug and beat together. Toss the flour and salt in a bowl and add a generous splash of the liquid ingredients. Whisk to form a smooth, thick batter, then slowly pour in the remaining liquid, whisking as you go, by this time the oil should have got very hot in the roasting tray, so drop a little of the batter in - if it sizzles, the oil is ready. If not leave the tray in the oven until it is hot.
3. Pour the batter into the tray and return it to the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the yorkshire pudding has puffed up and is deep golden around the edges.
4. Meanwhile make the filling. Heat a dry frying pan over a high heat and add the spinach. Cook, stirring, until the spinach wilts down, then tip it into a sieve set over a bowl.
5. Add the oil, butter, mushrooms and onion to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms soften and colour - you need to ensure all excess liquid has evaporated from the pan. Remove the pan from the heat.
6. Squeeze the excess moisture out of the spinach and discard its liquid. Put into a bowl with the mushrooms and onions, and add the nutmeg, Yorkshire Dama ricotta and pecorino cheese. Season to taste.
7. When the Yorkshire pudding is golden and puffed, remove it from the heat. Scatter the torn mozzarella on top of the filling. Return the tray to the oven for 10-15 mins until the cheese has melted, serve immediately.