Discover the health benefits of a keto diet
With so many different diets out there, it is difficult to know which one will work best for your individual goals and keep you feeling both happy and healthy. This week we are diving into the ‘Keto Diet’ to understand what the craze is all about!
What is the keto diet
A keto diet focuses on reducing the level of carbohydrates in our meals and replacing them with high fat foods. The scientific reasoning for this is that when carb consumption is reduced and replaced with fat, the body then enters a state of ketosis. During this process your metabolism becomes higher and is able to burn fat more easily and create more energy.
Keto diet foods
There are strict rules to abide by when it comes to following a ketogenic diet and eating the most beneficial foods, in order to get the most out of the diet. A meal plan and keto ingredients list are a great way to maintain a nutritious diet and to manage your daily carb intake. Here are some foods that you should include in your everyday meals:
- Fish - aim for high fat fish such as salmon, tuna or trout
- Dairy - milk, butter, cream
- Nuts and seeds
- Vegetables - only low carb vegetables such as green vegetables, avocados, onions and peppers
- Herbs and spices
By following this diet, you can expect many advantageous health benefits. The most well known benefit is the ability to lose weight whilst enjoying a keto diet as research has shown that you can still feel full after a healthy keto dinner rather than the typical low fat diet.
Another interesting health benefit includes an improved quality of life for those who have type 2 diabetes as by burning off the excess fat is burnt off, the side effects of diabetes on the body are reduced.
A keto diet is also great with clearing up acne and giving a natural glow to the skin. By eating foods which have a high nutritional value and avoiding those which are processed can lead to a better complexion.
Healthy Recipes - Keto Edition
The best aspect of a keto diet is that cheese is allowed! Here is our quick and easy, keto friend, healthy dinner: Grilled Squeaky Cheese and Avocado.
½ cup Quinoa Rice
1. Rinse the quinoa under some water, then toast in a pan with onions and garlic.
2. Then add 1 cup of water, stir to begin with then leave to simmer for a few minutes
3. When the quinoa has reached the fluffiness that your desire, take off the heat and leave to rest
4. Cut the squeaky cheese into and grill on a medium heat pan with a drop of olive oil
5. When both sides of the cheese are chargrilled start to prepare the vegetables
6. Chop the spring onion and avocado
7. Combine all the ingredients, including the quinoa onto a plate
8. Season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar for extra flavour!