A delicious start to back to school lunchtimes
As the six-week summer holidays are over, it’s time to turn our thoughts from entertaining the tiddlywinks to back-to-school preparations.
Teachers are already sharpening their pencils, eagerly (we hope) awaiting our children’s return to the classroom. And as some parents cannot wait for the routine to resume, others are already dreading the anguish of what to put into those lunch boxes? We all want our children to eat a nutritious meal but how do you satisfy fussy eaters and keep up the variety beyond ham, cheese and tuna sandwiches?
Let Yorkshire Dama Cheese do the leg work for you.
A healthy, back-to-school lunch
Children’s lunch should be a healthy lunch – children need nutritious food to keep their active minds and bodies in tip-top shape.
Our Yorkshire Dama Cheese dairy products provide calcium, which is essential for growing bones, while the protein in dairy fills up rumbling tummies and fuels muscles. And of course, a great-tasting lunch is always a winner!
Yorkshire Dama Cheese lunch box recipe ideas
Take some of the headaches out of back-to-school preparations and see our school lunch box recipe ideas with Yorkshire Dama Cheese dairy products!
Bento-style children’s lunch
• Ideal for fussy eaters as a pick and mix lunch provides plenty of options!
• Divide a lunchbox into segments or use little tubs for a bento-style lunchbox with lots of variety.
A pasta salad
• Pre-prepare a pasta salad with chicken, peppers, cherry tomatoes, and Yorkshire Squeaky Cheese the night before to take the hassle out of the morning rush.
• Use different flavours of our Yorkshire Squeaky Cheese to bring variety.
Burger and fries
• Delight your child with a brioche burger with Hello-Mi fries and a dip of their choice.
• Food thermoses are a great way to provide your child with a warm lunch while giving them a break from sandwiches.
A healthy lunchtime muffin
Soup for a comforting winter’s day
• Put that food thermos into good use and prepare a tasty carrot soup with Labneh (see recipe below).
• Serve it with spinach and Yorkshire Squeaky Cheese pinwheels for a hearty and healthy children’s lunch.
• Whether you wrap it or roll it, keep it squeaky! The best thing about Yorkshire Squeaky Cheese is that it is delicious with just about anything. Add it into a classic sandwich, wrap it with vegetables into a wrap or burrito, or slice it between a bagel. You could even roll some squeaky cheese or Labneh into a crepe!
• For kids who just like their dough without the fuss, how about tempting them with super simple dough balls (see recipe below) and a pot of Labneh with a touch of honey or lemon?
• Of course, don’t forget to add those veggies for added vitamins!
Healthy Sheep’s Yoghurt and Oat Muffins
1 cup Sheep’s Milk Yoghurt
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup sugar
1 ¼ cup self-raising flour
¾ cup mashed banana
1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. Mix the yoghurt and oats in a bowl and place them in the fridge for exactly 30 minutes.
3. Add the following ingredients in order of mention: egg, oil, sugar, banana and then flour. Mix gently with a spoon.
4. Spoon the mixture into a muffin tray and bake for 15-20 minutes until ready.
A Tasty Carrot Soup with Labneh
450g of carrots
1 large onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 chicken stock cube
½ cup coriander
1 cup of Labneh Spreadable Yoghurt
1. Peel and cut the carrots. Chop the onion and mash the garlic. Fry the onion in olive oil and then add the carrots.
2. Add 4 cups of water with the stock cube and bring to a boil. Simmer until the carrots have cooked.
3. While the carrots cook, heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and coriander. Stir to mix and then set aside.
4. When the carrots are ready, puree in a blender with garlic, coriander and labneh.
Super Simple Dough Balls
2 tbsp Sheep’s Milk Yoghurt
3 heaped tbsp self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
1. Mix the flour, salt and yoghurt in a small bowl.
2. Roll out onto a floured surface and portion into balls.
3. Cook in 180C for 10-12 minutes and serve with Yorkshire Dama Labneh or a knob of Yorkshire Dama Butter.
Do you have a winning lunchbox recipe idea? Share it on our Facebook page!